Out of the Vault Exhibit Now Open at The Strong Museum
November 15, 2017
For Immediate Release
Out of the Vault Exhibit
Now Open at The Strong Museum
Peek into The Strong’s world-renowned collections (regularly featured on Travel Channel’s Mysteries at the Museum) in Out of the Vault—an exhibit now open at The Strong exploring the museum’s diverse toy, doll, board game, and video game holdings. See a sampling of what’s rare and unusual, as well as what’s typical and representative, among The Strong’s more than 460,000 artifacts, including:
- Toys of all types, from teddy bears to refrigerators and Curious George to Power Rangers
- Dolls from the 1800s made of ceramic or papier-mache, and newer ones such as Marine Corps. Barbie
- Games of all types, including travel backgammon, the Nuclear War card game, and the Settlers of Catan board game
- A range of jigsaw puzzles, including an early Disney puzzle from 1933
- Rare arcade games, such as an Atari’s Gotcha (1973), and pioneering pinball machines like Williams’ Saratoga (1948), the first machine to feature electromechanical bumpers
- Electronic games from around the world, such as the early Mattel Electronics Baseball (1978) and the Japanese version of Nintendo’s Mario Kart 64 (1996)
- Treasures from the museum’s archives, including early Raggedy Ann and Andy illustrations, industrial design sketches for the iconic video game Gauntlet (1985), and rules for the board game Cluedo (which became Clue)
Out of the Vault remains on view through June 3, 2018 and is included with general museum admission fees.
Museum Hours: Monday–Thursday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
General Admission Fees (does not include admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden®): age 2 and older $14.50, under age 2 free, members free. Fees subject to change.
Admission to Dancing Wings Butterfly Garden: General Admission fee plus $4 for members, $5 for nonmembers, under age 2 free. Entry is by timed ticket only. Fees subject to change.
Parking: Free parking is available at the museum for all guests on a first-come, first-served basis during regular museum hours. Please note that, on high visitation days, the museum lot may reach capacity early in the day. If space is not available on site at the time of your visit, additional parking is available at neighboring municipal garages for a fee. The Strong is not responsible for fees incurred at off-site locations.